My student reeds are great for oboists who are ready for a step up from mass-produced commercial reeds. The tone is rounder, and there is a bit of resistance to encourage proper breathing and embouchure development. Each reed is made to order, just for you.
I aim for my reeds to:
• Have easy response.
• Have a pleasant tone – not dark, but not bright either, will blend well with an ensemble.
• Be stable in pitch.
• Be tuned to A=440, crowing “C” octaves.
• Be Medium-soft, Medium, or Medium-hard strength, according to your preference.
• Measure ~around~ 70mm finished, just depending on pitch, etc.
• Encourage using proper air speed and volume, but be accessible for developing embouchures.
I use the following materials:
• Cane from various sources – I have a source for gouged cane that works well for these student reeds. Sometimes my hand-gouged cane produces reeds that are just a little too resistant to pass for a student reed.
• Hand-shaped, with a Pfeiffer-Mack reproduction tip from Westwind Machining.
• A brass staple with synthetic cork.
• FF nylon thread.
Each reed is sterilized in 70% isopropyl alcohol before mailing.
My return policy:
• If you hate your reeds, or they don’t work for you, or they arrive cracked or broken, tell me within one week of receiving your shipment. We’ll discuss the best solution – I am happy to work with you!